Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Ponderings ~ Cling to the Good

My ponderings today come from a phrase in Romans 12:9, where our pastor spoke in church this morning.

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.

I've been thinking this afternoon about clinging to what is good. Pastor explained that the Greek word for cling means to permanently glue together.

And so I've been thinking that if I cling to what is good, if I am permanently bonded to what is good, by default I will abhor evil. Good and evil cannot coexist. They cannot bond. The more my mind is filled with good, evil will find no grip. Light and darkness cannot coexist. One dispels the other. God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all (1 John 1:5).  

The problem arises as to where I allow my thoughts to go. As a believer, God's desire is that I be conformed to the image of His Son, Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29). I should be continually changing more and more into His image. Less thoughts on the darkness of evil, and more thoughts on the goodness of light.

The Enemy of all things good would have us confused as to what is good and what is evil. He would even have us enjoying evil. Many people, even followers of Christ, find enjoyment watching evil played out before them on television or in movies. We cannot say that we abhor the evil that we enjoy watching.

And so, as a follower of Jesus Christ, I turn to His Word to learn what He says about these opposing forces. And in doing so, I separate myself from that which is evil and bond myself to that which is good.  

The underlying reason?  Let love be without hypocrisy. Let love be genuine.
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength (Mark 12:30).
Clinging to that which is good, with all my heart.
Clinging to that which is good, with all my soul.
Clinging to that which is good, with all my mind.
Clinging to that which is good, with all my strength.

Permanently bonded.
And thankful for His mercy and grace.


.....
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...