Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

On Saturdays I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.


Outside my window...
Getting dark earlier. Autumn is approaching. My favorite season.

Noticing the sound of... 
My Beloved opening his Ott Light box. It will help as he tinkers on his electronics. He likes to buy from Goodwill, fix it up, and sell it on ebay. :-)

Thinking...
I haven't blogged since we went to Chicago for Elijah's 2nd birthday. Getting back into the routine of things.

A Few Pictures to Share...
Elijah's favorite gift. He's a Thomas fan!
















Book Love~Anytime's a good time for a book!







Birthday Trip to the Petting Zoo
























Thankful...
For interstates to Chicago. Distance is no friend to families.

From the sewing room...
I showed you a dress not long ago that I made for an orphanage in Africa. I've been making more Little Dresses for Africa, getting stations ready for our women's group at church to have a sewing bee. Here's a picture of some that I've just recently finished.















A thought from my Quiet Time...
I've been reading through the passion week in the gospels, and was reminded today how monstrous envy can be. "For He [Jesus] was aware that the chief priests had handed Him over because of envy." (Mk. 15:10)

This coming week I'm looking forward to...
Beginning a Mom's Group in my home, discussing The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart for Eternity by Sally Clarkson.


Learning...
Not to eat a whole Tudor's muffin at one sitting. I thought I learned that the last time.

From the garden...  
Some sort of fungus is among us. It started while we were in Chicago. Had to spray and pinch back the zinnias. A few of the plants died, but they were quite bright and cheery while we had them!

Around the house...
My Beloved is almost finished with the bathroom walls. Got the wallpaper down, but alas, the primer was up to no good. Apparently it froze during storage and revolted at the thought of going on the wall. What did stick had to be sanded off. Argh. Bought new primer and it's lookin' good! Soon to the final coat!

From the kitchen...
I had not heard of pastisio until recently. The cinnamon and nutmeg give it an autumnish aroma. Had some today and sharing the recipe with you.

1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ox. can tomato sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and divided
1/4 cup butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Brown beef, onion and garlic in skillet: heat until onion and garlic are tender. Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, salt and cinnamon; simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan; whisk in flour, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually pour in milk; heat until thickened. Remove from heat; whisk in eggs and Parmesan cheese. Set aside. Spread one cup macaroni in a greased 8x8 baking pan. Cover with meat sauce. Top with remaining macaroni. Pour milk mixture over macaroni; bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is golden. Serves 4.

Currently reading...
For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay. It's one I read many years ago as my own children were growing up. It's recently been reprinted and I'll give to my daughter as she begins her own homeschooling journey with our little Elijah. Sharing a bit as I read.

Where to start? How? Parents need to evaluate their priorities. They need to consider why they respond, "We wouldn't have time to read a book together every day. We don't have time to hike/camp/paint/talk with our children." What is really important? Educational institutions make poor substitute mothers, fathers, and homes. There has never been a generation when children have so desperately needed their parents' time, thoughtful creativity, and friendship. The surrounding culture is deeply out of step with the Word of God. Other pressures threaten to take away sanity, stability, and simple humanity.

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...