Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2018

No Matter Your Age ~ Embrace the Season

https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/sunset-behind-the-hill_758471.htm#term=winter%20sunset&page=7&position=6

The grandchildren have left after an 8-day visit and all is quiet again. Much activity, love, and talking while they were here. They seem to grow older by leaps and bounds between visits. I grow older to them as well, at least that's what little Anna (5) seems to think. "Nana, I know why your hair is gray. Because you're old, old." Don't kids say the cutest things? (not)

I grayed early several years ago and so did my grandmother. I always remember her as gray, but I never thought of her as old, old. Maybe that's because she died a few years younger than I am now. Maybe it's because we weren't as bombarded back then with ads about staying and looking young. Whatever the reason, we currently live in a youth obsessed culture.

Why is that? I think several things are in that stew. For one, it sells products. If we were allowed to be satisfied with how we look, there would be no profit in that mentality for the cosmetic industry, the folks that do the nip and tuck, the chiseling, firming, implants, reductions, color enhancers (spray on, wash on), whitening, darkening, spot removers, wrinkle removers, pedicures, manicures, fake lashes, waxers, or the new fill-in scalp powders for thinning hair. It even comes in white. Hmmm....maybe I should seriously consider the scalp powder.

No matter how much we fix up or cover up, we inevitably age. That's just how life is. The more we shadow box, the more we lose out on growing old gracefully. No, the hair isn't the same, the skin isn't the same, and I cannot make it across the ring bridge at the playground now (tried it last week with the kiddos and was rather surprised that I couldn't).

But one thing I've learned as I've aged is that there's so much more to life than how young or old I look or feel, or whether I can still do the things I used to do. There's so much in life still to enjoy that we simply change the things we do and enjoy the things we now do. Real, live conversations are richer, quiet music is more pleasant, a slower walk through the neighborhood or the park can let the fragrance of the flowers drift by, a late-night or early-evening bedtime is at my bidding. And there is extended time to sit, meditate, and contemplate as I read God's Word. There may come a time in my later years that I cannot do even what I do now, but I know that God's grace is abundant. I've known many older saints who exude much joy even in their limited capacities. It has more to do with the spirit than the body.

I don't think we were meant to age when Creation began, but the Fall of Man brought it to us all. However, God in His great mercy redeems what Satan intends to take from us--the joy of our years. Our hope cannot be in clinging to youthfulness, for that is inevitably hopeless. Our hope and joy is found in the One who gives abundant life, in the here and now and ages to come. So I embrace the here and now. The winter season has its own beauty and peacefulness.

Even to your old age I will be the same, And even to your graying years I will bear you! 
I have done it, and I will carry you; And I will bear you and I will deliver you. 
~Isaiah 46:4-5

Image ~ from Freepik by RyanMcQuire
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...