Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

On Lending Books

I pulled a book from the bookshelf today that was lent to me over fifty years ago. No, it's not one that I forgot to return, although I've done that upon occasion (and have lost a few myself the same way). This book is dear to me because it was lent when I was a relatively new believer in my late teens. I didn't ask to borrow it, but the person who lent it knew I needed it, and so offered it to me.

I was eager to read its pages as I began to study the Scriptures with more than a cursory reading. I still pull it off the shelf occasionally when I read through the gospel of John, which is the title of the book from the bookshelf--The Gospel of John by Henry A. Ironside. It's a collection of sermons that he preached as pastor of Moody Memorial Church of Chicago, first published in 1942 during World War II. As he says in the preface, it isn't a scholarly book but, rather, meant for the masses who came to hear him preach or listened over the radio. Difficult times send people searching for the truth.

This book is not only dear to me because it was the first commentary sort of book that I had read, but it was lent to me by My Beloved's father who passed from this life to his heavenly one twenty-one years ago this month. We were the recipients of the books from his bookshelf that he used in preparation for the adult Sunday School class that he taught for many years.

Each time I hold this 1956 edition in my hands, I'm reminded of the importance of speaking into the lives of fellow Christians by lending our books to them, even if they haven't asked. Or better, by buying them a copy and giving it to them so they can ponder its pages without the time pressure of returning it. They may not read it, but then again, they might. I gave such a book to a new friend who had just become a widow. She then purchased 25 copies to give away herself!

Whether they're young believers or those who have walked with the Lord for several years, or even fifty years, it's a way of encouraging one another to spiritual growth and understanding. A book can also be a tremendous comfort in time of emotional need.

Oh, and I did return the book to my not-then father-in-law. Little did I know then that I would marry his son and would pull the book from our own bookcase fifty years later.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...