Pages

Friday, March 15, 2019

Pushing Back

https://pixabay.com/photos/bee-wasp-superstar-balance-artists-1886240/

I try to keep only a few balls simultaneously in the air. Juggling life can at times be problematic. Am I moving too far forward? Am I keeping a proper distance in the height? Am I consistent with each throw? One miscue and they all come tumbling down. So blogging has been at a standstill this past month. Classes are on pause for awhile, and now my attention is turned once again to here. It's been a month since I've posted, and I hope to share along the way some of the things that I've learned--which is always the purpose, isn't it, to pass on whatever we've learned to whoever will listen.

I was able to rejoin our women's Bible study yesterday. This is a group who dig into God's Word and freely share what they've learned with one another. Some of them know a lot, some of us learn a lot, but whichever end of the spectrum we're on, we all learn and encourage one another in our faith.

You've probably experienced that no matter how many times you've read a passage of Scripture that something new is always to be gained from it. That happened to me yesterday in the passage about Paul and Silas being put in jail without a trial as Roman citizens, which was unlawful. When the mistake was recognized by those in authority, they wanted Paul and Silas to leave quietly. Paul said no way! He wanted the council to come and release them in person.

I've always wondered why Paul was so insistent about that. I would have gone out post haste, but Paul was thinking of more than himself. I tend to think about myself in disagreeable situations, but Paul was thinking how slipping away quietly would reflect on the newly formed church. The council had shamed him because he was talking about Jesus, whom they didn't approved. To slither out of jail was to accept the shame that was put on Jesus' name and, therefore, the believers there in Philippi.

It brought to mind some of what is going on in America today in regard to Christianity. We're told that our beliefs are disapproved, even damaging to our nation. There's an attempt to shame us, to quiet us, to jail us, to keep us from being heard. I'm thankful for those who are pushing back and saying no way!

There was a time in America's recent past when turning the other cheek was expected to be the Christian's response. I believe that response was misconceived, misdirected and taken advantage of by those who manipulate their own political and perverted agendas.

Christians are now pushing back. The Apostle Paul exercised his freedom as a Roman citizen, lest the church be found insignificant in his day. Christians must exercise our freedom as American citizens, lest the church be found insignificant in our day.

It's a spiritual struggle in which we are engaged. May God be merciful and strengthen us.
Image via Pixabay
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...