Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2021

A Book to Ponder During Lent

If you're looking for a book on Jesus Christ to read during Lent, I highly recommend The Life & Teaching of Jesus Christ by James S. Stewart. I came across Stewart's book when I was looking for such a one to read during Advent. I found his writing to be engaging, scholarly, and filled with personal passion for knowing his beloved Savior. 

Several years ago I had determined to know more about my Redeemer and so began to study Him in more depth in the Scriptures as well as through the insights and study of authors who have a supreme regard for Him. Stewart's book was a slow but delightful read in this regard. Slow because his insights drew me to ponder and consider Jesus Christ in ways I had not previously. I needed to savor the narrative.

James S. Stewart was a Scottish preacher, born in Dundee in 1896 and was viewed by some as the greatest preacher of the twentieth century. He was also Chair of New Testament Language, Literature, and Theology at New College, Edinburgh University and chaplain to King George V and later to Queen Elizabeth. He died in 1990. 

As one biographical author has commented, "In summary, Stewart fused scholarship and evangelism in a style and delivery that was bold, stirring, positive, lyrical, joyous and often exhilarating." I haven't heard Stewart preach, but I found this to be true in his writing of The Life & Teaching of Jesus Christ.

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...