Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

Today I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.  

A picture to share...  

Roses and Peonies in the Front Yard
Outside my window...
An absolutely gorgeous, sunny day with roses and peonies in bloom.

Thankful...   

For the good fellowship that I had this afternoon with kindred spirits at a baby shower.  My spirit is always refreshed when I cross paths with homeschooling friends from our homeschooling days.

Thinking...     
What a blessing is in store for one of these dear friends who will soon be a grandma and have her grandbaby living nearby. What a blessing for all of them! "Free babysitting whenever we want it," as the mommy-to-be said. 
  Proverbs 17:6--Grandchildren are the crown of the aged.
Learning... 
To wait on God. Even though I cannot see Him at work, I do see the leaves rustle every now and then. :-)
  
Around the house.... 
The dining room table is covered in boxes and piles of pictures. Getting all the family pictures organized and, hopefully, into albums. Sure wish I'd done this throughout the years. It would have made our girls' birthday photo books much easier to do!

From the kitchen....
Bow Tie Pasta with Bacon, Tomatoes, and Zucchini

8 oz. (4 cups) uncooked bow tie pasta (farfalle)
1/2 lb. bacon (I don't use that much)
1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges 
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 19 oz. cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
1 tsp. brown sugar

Cook bow tie pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Discard bacon drippings. Add onion and garlic to bacon in skillet. Cook over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Add zucchini; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, brown sugar, and beans; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.

Drain bow tie pasta. Pour tomato mixture over pasta.
6 (1  1/3 cup) servings

From the Sewing Room...
Trying to figure out how to do a cover seam with my serger so I can hem some knit tops.
  
Noticing the sound of...  
Neighbors' grandsons playing basketball in their driveway. 
 
A thought from my Quiet Time....
As I was once again reading the account of the birth of Jesus and how the shepherds "when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child, and all that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds" (Luke 2), I paused at the next sentence: "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." I wondered why 'she kept all these things,' because it was truly wonderful news. I began to think of the bumper stickers that say, "I'm the proud parent of a ...." and how she could have been boasting about what her son was going to do, or at least that she was especially chosen to bear Him. Indeed, Mary was chosen for special parenthood, but she had a heart of humility. Jesus was known for his humility--I think He learned it from His mother.

Currently reading...
The Family by J.R. Miller. Sharing a paragraph with you as I reflect on this new little life soon coming to this young couple:
"What we want to do with our children is not merely to control them and keep them in order, but to implant true principles deep in their hearts which shall rule their whole lives; to shape their character from within into Christlike beauty, and to make of them noble men and women, strong for battle and for duty. They are to be trained rather than governed. Growth of character, not merely good behavior, is the object of all home governing and teaching. Therefore the home influence is far more important than the home laws, and the parents' lives are of more moment than their teachings."
This coming week I'm looking forward to...
Hopefully, having an additional pastor for our church to help with the ministry. The decision will be made Sunday evening.


You may also enjoy reading what other simple women are saying and doing these days. Just click here to go to The Simple Woman's Daybook site. I'll be posting my journal on Saturdays. Do stop by again.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...