Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday Ponderings ~ Submitting to Authority

Pondering today on Romans 13:1-7, where our pastor spoke from this morning. The passage tells us to be in subjection to the governing authorities, which are established by God. Opposing them is opposing God.

"Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore he who resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves" (v. 1-2).

This is especially challenging when I disagree with the governing authorities. It's even more difficult when I don't like those in authority over me. But agreeing and liking aren't qualifiers in the command.

God intends for authority to be "a minister of God to you for good" (v. 4), and it would be more palatable if I knew that those in authority were interested in my good, but history attests to the fact that many in authority have been brutal to those under them. God deals with them justly, which we've seen in recent instances. He holds all of us accountable for our part in what He ordains.

Not only is authority to be a minister of good, but it is to punish wrongdoing--to be "an avenger who brings wrath upon the one who practices evil" (v.4). I've often heard it said that government can't/shouldn't legislate morality, but biblically that's not so. Here we see that government is to legislate against immorality, and what is that except providing for a moral climate?

Do I always submit to every directive of authority? Not when I'm directed to go against scripture. I'm to obey God rather than man (Acts 5:29). And this is where my faith is tried in the furnace.

So as I ponder I ask myself, Do I willingly submit to those in authority over me, even if I don't like them or don't agree with them? Or do I do my own thing, or blatantly rebel? Or fuss and fume? Do I draw the line on submitting when it comes to going against biblical truth and commands? Or do I go along with politically correct behavior? Am I willing to be tried in the furnace by obeying God rather than man? Do I desire for dross to be released?
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...