Pages

Monday, July 10, 2017

Being Intentional in Spiritual Disciplines


I've been inattentive to my blog for too long now, over a month, but at the start of a class on Spiritual Disciplines yesterday at church, I was reminded of my word for 2017 intentional and have been drawn back to capturing and journaling some thoughts once again. Reigning in my thoughts, thinking them through, and in some form or fashion making them coherent (if even only to myself) has been an effective vehicle over the years for recognizing God's hand in my life and being drawn to Him.

I'm sure I'll be sharing percolating thoughts here over the next few weeks as the class progresses. A friend and I are planning to meet routinely and discuss the chapter readings with one another. That should provide more food for thought. As the teacher pointed out, one of the catalysts for spiritual growth and change is the people in our lives. "Iron sharpens iron" (Proverbs 27:17).  Encouraging each other on, offering suggestions and a bit of a nudge.

Or, as was mentioned in class, having or being that little piece of sandpaper. Ah, but that's often the rub, isn't it? Having the rough edges sanded off is often not so pleasant. No, but we can be confident that He who began a good work in us will bring it to pass. The process can be braved with the result in mind. So, directing my heart Upward and Homeward, I sojourn and journal onintentionally.

Illustration ~ Yes or No 1905, Charles Dana Gibson 1867-1944 CC 2.0

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...