Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

A Thought on Suffering

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Michael_Ancher_001.jpg
A comment was made in class discussion forum today that many struggle with God's goodness in the face of their suffering. I offered a few thoughts in that regard....

Sometimes the suffering is so great, and our minds are so bewildered, that we struggle with making any kind of sense as to how it squares with God's goodness. And sometimes we tend to do the defining of what God's goodness is and means...to us. This is one area where I think the '5 love languages' have lead us astray. We tend to interpret God's goodness and love toward us with how we want to be shown that love, and whether or not we'll accept it as such.

I think suffering is a watershed experience. What has gone on before in our heart and mind about God has much to do with how we respond/react to it. It's much to our benefit to understand suffering before it befalls us. But then again, sometimes we have no inclination that we need to know.

I understood just enough to know that in my own "momentary affliction," I was wrestling with God. The one thing that I understood was that I didn't understand. It's more difficult for those who shadowbox their misunderstandings. I think some sufferings make us angry and hurt so deeply because they are so painful, and we despise them. It is only God who can mend a broken heart. I am so very thankful that He pulled me closer and closer to Himself as I was searching for reality.

I think the one thing that I did know and that kept me hopeful was that God is love. That is the first thing children learn about God, if they learn about Him. For those of you who have children, bless and benefit them with an understanding of God's great love. They will need it when it is their turn to face suffering. I couldn't get away from that truth, even though I didn't understand how it fit. It took me a few years to see more clearly, but I understand so much more about God in the aftermath.

So very thankful that God continues to redeem and rescue!

Image ~ The Sick Girl, Michael Ancher 1849-1927
public domain via Wikimedia Commons
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...