Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

Today I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.  


A picture to share...  

 
 
Outside my window...
Snow white azaleas in full bloom in the front garden. Especially gorgeous at night!

Thinking...
    
About the good fellowship that I had while walking this week.
 
Thankful...   
That my parents and sister's families were safe during the tornadoes this week in Huntsville. They only lost electricity that will be off for several more days. Inconvenient, but many others lost much more.
 
Learning... 
That quilt blocks don't necessarily come out square with precise 1/4 inch seams, but rather that the seams need to be adjusted to make a block square.
  
Around the house.... 
Finished a new 4-week menu rotation for May-August. This sure is a big help when it comes to supper time and grocery shopping. Not that I'm stuck to the menu when I want to do something different, but when it's on paper it's off my mind (not a lot seems to stick there anyway), and I can just give it a quick glance to see what's upcoming for supper.

Noticing the sound of...

Quiet. A peaceful night.

Reflecting creativity, in His image...

Gave The Book Nook a Mother's Day touch
 
From the kitchen....
Sharing one of the new recipes to our menu rotation. This one is Debbie's from our local homeschool support group cook book. Thanks, Debbie!

Meal-in-One Casserole
(Crock Pot)

1# ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped 
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 cup whole corn, drained (I used frozen)
1 cup mushroom tops and pieces, drained (I used fresh)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1- 11 oz. jar salsa (I think mine was about 14 oz.)
5 cups uncooked medium egg noodles (I just cooked enough for the two of us)
1- 28oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used mozzarella)

In a skillet cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is done. Transfer to slow cooker. Top with green pepper, corn and mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour salsa over mushrooms. Pour tomatoes and water over all. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours, then add noodles and continue cooking 1-2 hours or until noodles are tender. 
 
I just cooked the noodles separately so I could save mixture leftovers. The next time I won't add as much liquid. I think the mixture would good over nacho chips, too, especially with less liquid.

A thought from my Quiet Time....
From Knowing God Through the Year by J.I. Packer
Just as you do not know the path of the wind, ... so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things. ~ Ecclesiastes 11:5
"Among the seven deadly sins of medieval lore was sloth (acedia)--a hard-bitten, joyless apathy of spirit. There is a lot of it around today in Christian circles. The symptoms are personal spiritual inertia combined with critical cynicism about the churches and supercilious resentment of other Christians' initiative and enterprise. Behind this morbid and deadening condition often lies the wounded pride of one who thought he knew all about the ways of God in providence and then was made to learn by bitter and bewildering experience that he didn't.
This is what happens when we do not heed the message of Ecclesiastes. For the truth is that God, in his wisdom, to make and keep us humble and to teach us to walk by faith, has hidden from us almost everything that we would like to know about the providential purposes that he is working out in the churches in our own lives."
Currently reading...
The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. I began previewing this book as a possible Book Nook addition, and I quickly found that it certainly is one I'd encourage all mothers to read! In fact, I'm thinking about hosting a 6-week discussion group for moms around this book. It's that good!

This coming week I'm looking forward to...
Our upcoming visit with Elizabeth and Craig and our little Elijah. Looking forward to holding and hugging! 


You may also enjoy reading what other simple women are saying and doing these days. Just click here to go to The Simple Woman's Daybook site. I'll be posting my journal on Saturdays. Do stop by again.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...