Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Forgiveness: Better Instead of Bitter


 Our pastor spoke on forgiveness yesterday, and it reminded me of a book I'd read many years ago--Forgiveness: The Power and the Puzzles by Wendell E. Miller. Our pastor shared an experience that drove him to the Scriptures several years ago, searching out what God intends in forgiveness. I was reminded of my own experience several years ago that had the same effect on me. I read several books on the subject as well, and the one by Miller unlocked the "puzzle" of forgiveness for me in a way that freed me from a great burden.

The key point for me was understanding the difference between judicial forgiveness and fellowship forgiveness. Judicially, we release someone from the penalty of his sin. We release that to God for whatever He may do with it. Fellowship forgiveness requires repentance from the person so our fellowship can be restored. The offender may never ask forgiveness, and fellowship may never be restored. That's not to say that we don't speak to one another, but that his offense is still between us, lacking repentance, confession, and fellowship forgiveness. However, the burden of our heart can be lifted because of judicial forgiveness, and as our pastor pointed out, we get better instead of bitter.

As Wendell Miller says, the difference between these two kinds of forgiveness can be considered as the difference between God's "courtroom" and His "living room."
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...