Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

Today I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well. 

A picture to share... 
Birdhouse Planter in Our Front Yard

Outside my window... 
My Beloved mowing the lawn. 

Noticing the sound of...
The lawnmower
 

Thankful...    
For times of fellowship with friends of kindred spirit. I had lunch with a long-time friend yesterday, catching up on happenings and what God is doing in their family's life. Saw some old friends at our homeschooling graduation last evening.  

Thinking...      
About the thoughtfulness of a dear friend who left flowers on my doorstep on my birthday. What a delightful blessing when My Beloved and I returned from my surprise destination that day. God is so good to use His children as instruments of grace in the Redeemer's hand.

A thought from my Quiet Time....
Knowing that all I do will eventually (either here or there) be judged by God has a direct effect on my view of life. Judgment can be good or bad, depending on what I've done and why.


The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil. Ecc. 12:13-14


Learning...   
I was introduced to a new little crepe shop where a friend treated me to lunch yesterday that has delicious huge crepes (14 inches or so). I had a Greek crepe without Feta cheese. I know the cheese is part of what makes it Greek, but it's just not to my liking. It was still wonderful without it. We split a raspberry-nutella crepe for dessert. I'll be going back there soon!
 
Around the house.... 
We had looked at getting a new front entry door, until we saw the cost. :-/ My Beloved is painting the one we have. :-)

From the kitchen...
A new recipe for chicken enchiladas from Friday's supper.


1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (I used frozen strips)
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1.5 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp baking cocoa
1 cup fat-free milk
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
4 green onions, chopped
1 can (4 oz) chopped green cilies, drained
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
6 whole wheat tortillas (8 in.)
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I used mozzarella)


1. Sprinkle chicken with chili powder. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Sprinkle with flour, coriander and cocoa; stir until blended.
2. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the corn, onions, chilies and salt; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro.
3. Spread 2/3 cup filling down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
4. In a small bowl, combine the salsa, tomato sauce and remaining cilantro; pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until heated through.
From Healthy Cooking Magazine
From the gardens...
Did some dead-heading and tied up some roses. My Beloved painted the birdhouse flower box this week. He's so good to take care of the heavy-duty stuff. :-)


From the sewing room...
My Beloved gifted me with some fabric yardage to add to my stash. A Happy Birthday present! Love it!

Currently reading...
Decision-Making and the Will of God by Garry Friesen. Sharing a bit with you today.
God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are asserted side by side in Scripture (Acts 2:23; $:27-28). Whether or not we can put them together in our minds, we must accept both truths. And so we acknowledge a fourth characteristic of God's sovereign will: it is the supreme determiner of all things--without violating human responsibility or making God the author of sin.
The story is told of two soldiers who experienced a lull in the fighting several days after their D-day landing at Normandy. As they approached the plaza of a city, they found a statue of Christ that had been toppled. On the intact base someone had scrawled the words, "His reign is over." It can seem that way in the carnage of battle, but these soldiers knew better. They quietly replaced the statue and added three words to the base. Now it read, "His reign is over...heaven and earth."
Believers know God reigns despite their theological arguments about it. J.I. Packer contends that in prayer all believers really do believe that God is sovereign. "On our feet we may have arguments about it, but on our knees we are all agreed."

(Blogger's formatting is still not cooperating. Looks good in preview but messes up on publishing.)
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...