Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Our Only Advocate ~ Amazing Grace!


I brought home a nugget of truth from our small group tonight that I hadn't considered before. We were discussing Jesus's crucifixion and His words in Luke 23:34, "Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they're doing."  I made the comment that forgiveness is a judicial term, and in asking God not to bring judgment and due punishment upon the people for what they had done to Him, that Jesus was asking for them to have further opportunity for repentance and reconciliation.

That comment was further developed by an attorney in the group, who fully understands the purpose and need for advocacy. He called to our attention that Jesus is the only one who has direct access to God, who advocates for us and takes up our case before Father God. What amazing grace, that Jesus advocated for the very people who were calling for His crucifixion!

Jesus was asking God to give them more time. More time to see that His life, death, and resurrection was their only hope of reconciliation with God. And He is our only hope to this very day, for Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me" (John 14:6).

My take away from K-group discussion this evening--So very thankful that Jesus advocates for me and that God sees me through Jesus' righteousness, not my own self-righteousness.

I hope, dear one, that you understand that Jesus the Christ is your only way to the God of the Universe.

Painting ~ Christ Crucified 1632 by Diego Velázquez 1599-1660
Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4214227
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...