Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

A Farmer's Wife?

A dear friend from back home recently sent me The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It's partly a book of quilt block patterns, and I was first attracted to it because of that. As I began to read, though, I was drawn to it time and again because it's a book from the heart of farm wives--about how farmers' wives in the 1920s liked being who they were.

The first part of the book contains letters that are in response to this question posed by The Farmer's Wife magazine in 1922: "If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?" Well, I'm not a farmer's wife, so I began to wonder about their responses. Another dear friend said she always wanted to be a farmer's wife, and she waited until one came her way. They were truly meant for one another. I guess she knew what, I suppose, most of us don't.

More than 7,000 women in the 1920s would agree with her, for that's how many responses The Farmer's Wife magazine received. These women were dead serious about what they thought about that question. And it, undoubtedly, required taking more time than we would have to give it today to sit and compose their thoughts by hand--no emails, no texting, no cut and paste. They wanted to be heard.

The book made me think about what I'd want for my own daughters as I considered my own life. What have I given so much of my life to that I'd want my daughters to do likewise? What would I be so motivated about to handwrite a response to a national magazine? I know immediately...I'd want my daughters to educate their children at home--to be a stay-at-home, home schooling wife and mother. Perhaps another day I'll expand more fully on that response, but suffice it say right now that my grandchildren are enjoying and reaping the benefits of education in the home. We and they are truly blessed.

Oh, about the quilt blocks in the second part of the book.... There are 111 six-inch quilt blocks, with cutting directions and assembly diagrams, and instructions for making a sampler quilt in any traditional size: lap, twin, queen, or king. I've seen some blogs that talk about being part of an online group that's working on The Farmer's Wife blocks. Now I know what they're referring to.

But the best part to me was the letters.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...