Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2016

The Simple Woman's Daybook

 For Today
http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Simple%20Woman's%20Daybook

Looking out my window...         

Not far from us is a restored railroad depot that occasionally takes excursions on a seldom used track that runs behind our property. The train meandered by today as I was in the sewing room, and I could see the passengers watching out their windows. A pleasant view from my window as well.


I am thinking...
That we have such good daughters. Hopefully, we'll be able to see one another soon.

 
I am thankful...
For a nice neighborhood with friendly neighbors.You never know when you move, or when a house becomes available near you, what kind of neighbors you might get. We left wonderful neighbors where we had lived for more than 40 years. So thankful for the new neighbors we now have.
 
I am creating... 
I made a couple of hot pads/pot holders today from some kaleidoscopes that I had on hand. I'll often sit in the evening and hand stitch the kaleidoscopes from triangles that I've already prepared, and then use them later in a project. I'm planning to give the hot pads to a new church friend as a hostess gift when we go to their house tomorrow for supper.



I am reading...
It was recommended as a 2016 Book of the Year in World Magazine. Short essays. Not necessarily a book I would have chosen except for the review in WM. The author seems to be rather short-sighted as far as life goes.


I am learning... 
To do needtleturn applique. I've been working on several quilt blocks over the past several months that will eventually be a quilt for our little Anna. I'm getting a little better at it as I go along, although I definitely have a long way to go. I posted about it yesterday.



In my kitchen...
We had leftover mac & cheese with broccoli for lunch today. It's a lighter fare than the normal mac & cheese. Sharing the recipe.
While a 1.5 cup of macaroni and about 6 oz of broccoli are boiling, brown about a fourth cup of chopped onions in butter. Add 2 tablespoons of flour, cooking until a bit golden. Add a cup of milk a half cup of chicken broth, and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in a cup of cheese until melted. (Your choice. I use whatever I have). Mix with macaroni and broccoli. Put into 8x8 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Mix 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs and sprinkle over top of macaroni. Spray top of mixture with vegetable spray. Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes; then broil for a few minutes until breadcrumbs are browned.

In my garden...
Just trying to keep the few flowering plants that I have from dying of thirst in this heat. This was our first summer living here, and I'm learning as the months pass that what may have flourished at our previous home just doesn't make it here.

A moment from my day
I've done a little autumn decorating, although the weather isn't turning at all fallish. I hear that I shouldn't look for that here until about November. Missing WV, where it begins to turn beautifully autumn in late September, early October.



Post Script
If you have children / grandchildren that you buy books for, you might be interested in Redeemed Reader. It's a website for reviews, resources and reflections on children's books and literature. "Our goal is not only helping kids find good books, but also teaching them to read with discernment."


Linking up today with Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...