Pages

Friday, March 3, 2017

From the Sewing Room ~ Little Girl Dresses

I've had more time to be in the sewing room this week. Showing one of the dresses I've made for my thinking-about-it Etsy shop in a few (several) months down the road. I enjoy working with fabric, the tactile feel of it, the combination of colors, and the design work. Each dress will be unique as I whittle away at my fabric stash. I'm mostly using 100% cotton that I've purchased from quilt fabric shops that I love to frequent. Each shop has a character of its own, and I like supporting small business owners.

As a start, I'm making a couple of dresses in each size for each basic style, probably focusing on sizes 3-10. I'm wanting to learn more about designing my own patterns, but for now this is a basic pattern for cutting the bodice. The directions with the pattern were too convoluted, anyway, so I just construct it more to what seems simpler to the way I think about it.

This particular dress is a size 8 classic style with gathered skirt, and I've embellished the front with a ruffle, some cotton lace, and matching buttons. The fabric is a Windham floral for the skirt and Andover mini floral tonal for the bodice. The bodice is lined with the same fabric and the skirt seams are serged, so all seams are enclosed.



The back closure is formed with self-fabric loops and buttons that match the front.



Something else I'm going to have to learn is how to take better pictures. I've signed up for a Crafty class on Product Photography, and hopefully, I'll learn how to do that before I launch. Or else I'll think about contacting a children's boutique shop here in the area and forget the photos and all the description that goes into selling on Etsy. I don't really want to put a lot of time into that aspect of it.

I hope you're enjoying doing something from your creative side, too. Being made in God's image in part means that we all have a touch of creativity simmering inside us. I don't have much, but I'm enjoying the modest measure that He endowed me with. Some of you can really shine, though! You inspire the rest of us toward new ideas. But as King Solomon once said, "There's nothing new under the sun." We all just tweak each others' ideas. So tweak on, dear one!
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...