Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Nobody Like Him

https://www.ivpress.com/the-incomparable-christ
We are at the point in our Bible Study in Mark of Jesus' last week before His crucifixion. I've been drawn into the study more these past few weeks as it coincides with the weeks leading up to the rejoicing of Resurrection Sunday. The study reinforces in my mind and heart that Jesus is truly the Son of God and has authority over everyone and everything. You, me, my life, your life. Government and nations. Relationships. Life's choices. If we neglect that authority, it is to our detriment. If we embrace it, it is to our welfare, both now and forevermore.

For the past few years I've wanted to learn more and more about Jesus, so I've been choosing a book with Jesus as the central theme to bring Him into closer focus for the Lenten season. This year I've chosen The Incomparable Christ by John Stott. I had previously read another book with the same title by J. Oswald Sanders, and it was a favorite read for that year, drawing me closer to comprehending the impact of Jesus' death and resurrection. The book by Stott is somewhat more academic, viewing Jesus from four aspects:

(1) The Original Jesus--How does the New Testament bear witness to Him?
(2) The Ecclesiastical Jesus--How has the church portrayed Jesus down through the centuries?
(3) The Influential Jesus--What influence has Christ had in history?
(4) The Eternal Jesus--What should Jesus mean to us today?

As the author states,
My hope is that these studies in the Bible and church history will be able to justify the title, The Incredible Christ. There is nobody like him; there never has been, and there never will be.

I do hope you know that to be true, dear one. It is He who leads us Upward and Homeward. I hope to see you there someday.

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...