Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Incomparable Christ

http://www.christianbook.com/the-incomparable-christ-j-sanders/9780802456601/pd/456601
Settling in this evening with a good book and a cup of peppermint tea after being out in the cold earlier today with an appointment and running errands.

Did I say settling in with a good book? Not a good book. A wonderful book! This book is a re-read for me. I had read The Incomparable Christ by J. Oswald Sanders a few years ago as a follow-along on ReviveOurHearts.com. Nancy Leigh DeMoss was beginning a 40-day series by the same title, following the outline of the book. She encouraged us to get the book and read through it during the Lenten season leading up to Easter. The book was such a ministry to me in getting to know Jesus in a deeper way, that by the time Resurrection Day came, it was hallelujah for sure! I've given copies to several people over the years. Gave another away just today. It's one of those books that I wish I were rich enough to give everyone.

Nancy is re-running that series again, starting today. I listened in and got an e-book. I thought I had my copy from before, but remembered I had given it to someone and had forgotten to replace it. There are several editions if you look for it online, and Revive Our Hearts has a special edition with a journal. The picture is the hard copy I had before. Be sure that if you purchase the book, that it's the one by Sanders. There are other books by the same title, different authors.

I'm ever-so-eager to listen and go through the study again. Nancy says,
https://www.reviveourhearts.com/radio/revive-our-hearts/unique-claims-jesus/
Nancy Leigh DeMoss
So each day over these next weeks, we’re going to look at a different aspect or period of the life and ministry of Christ here on this earth. We’ll look at His birth, His childhood, His baptism, His temptation. We’ll look at the deity of Christ, what that means and why it matters, and the humanity of Christ. We’ll look at His teaching, His humility, His prayer life.
Then as we get closer to Passion Week, we’ll look at the trial of Christ, His atoning work on the cross, what that means for us. We’ll spend a day on each of the seven last words of Christ on the cross. Then we’re actually going to continue this series for a week beyond Easter so that we can consider His resurrection, His ascension, His high priestly ministry in heaven today, and His second coming—the great hope of every child of God.
I do encourage you to listen in at ReviveOurHearts.com and turn your eyes upon Jesus. I know there are days when we just can't fit in the 20 minutes or so, but each day is archived, so we can catch up when there's opportunity. You'll find the transcript there, too, if you have just a brief few minutes.

I blogged a few times about the book back in 2011. If you look in the right column in my "A few thoughts about" list, scroll down to the book title, click, and you'll find some of my thoughts on it. I'm sure to say more about it this time around.

A few introductory words from J. Oswald Sanders:
This volume does not purport to be a theological treatise, but rather a devotional and doctrinal treatment of the great facts of the person and work of Christ, in a form suited to the average reader.... It is my prayer that the Holy Spirit, who delights to reveal the things of Christ to us, will unveil His glory to those who read this book.
 I, too, pray that He does that for you. I'd be delighted to hear what you think about it!
Vickie
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...