Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

In the Sewing Room ~ Hourglass Blocks

I've been working today catching up on homework for my quilting class next week. This is what I'll have when I'm finished. It's True Blue, designed by Kim Diehl, and uses her fabric line. I hope mine looks just as nice when I get it all sewn together! It's 23 x 23, and small piecing is a challenge for me.



I have the 20 two-and-a-half inch hourglass blocks made.


The pattern calls for a different method of construction for the hourglass units, but I like to oversize and cut down since that helps me keep the units more accurate. I knew there was a formula for oversizing, and I found a chart at Vicki'sFabricCreations blogspot that gives cutting measurements for several finished hourglass block sizes. It's printer friendly, so I printed it out for future referral. :-)  She also has a tutorial on a couple of methods for making the hourglass blocks. I like to use the second method that she shows because it gives two blocks at a time. Two birds with one stone.

Thought I'd share a tip with you today that I discovered as I was doing some hand stitching recently and needed to mark the diagonal. There was a tissue box nearby, I grabbed one, and found that using a tissue to lay the fabric on as I marked helped to keep the fabric from slipping. Using a tissue is easier on my fingers than using sandpaper to lay the fabric on, and it's just as effective. Handier at times, too!


I hope to post a picture of my finished wall/table quilt soon. I'm getting so behind in my homework!
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...