Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

On Forgiveness ~ A Quiet Time Thought

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=20&offset=0&profile=default&search=carl+holsoe&searchToken=5sdgdtl4tcb1mrhk9odyypdfd#/media/File:Woman_at_a_sunny_window-Carl_Hols%C3%B8e.jpg

Thinking some in preparation for our next Bible study in the Seeking Him study guide. The upcoming topic is on "Forgiveness: Setting Your Captives Free." Just as importantly, that forgiveness sets ourselves free as well.

The topic takes me back almost 20 years ago when I was ambushed and slandered by a friend. If you've had a friend turn on you and work to get others to turn on you as well, then you know the hurt and confusion it causes. I felt a great weight in my spirit and on my heart, wanting to find out what went wrong and to reconcile with her. She had no desire to discuss whatever brought on her state of mind and actions, but I knew that I had to get some release in my own heart and mind.That's when I went to the Scriptures and dug deeply for an understanding of forgiveness.

I learned that there are basically two dimensions to forgiveness--a relational aspect and a judicial aspect. I could not reach my friend relationally because she wouldn't talk to me, so we could not re-establish fellowship with one another as Matthew 18 instructs believers. I had to accept that. The other aspect was judicial, that I needed to release her and not to seek retribution for the hurt and damage she had caused. I left whatever consequences might come her way up to God and entrusted myself to Him. There was nothing more I could do or was expected to do.

That isn't to say that I have no feelings about the matter when I recall my friend. It saddens me to remember the discord the situation caused in our group and the loss of a friendship. God doesn't tell us to forget, but to forgive as He forgave us. We receive His forgiveness; in turn, we are to extend forgiveness.
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
as God in Christ forgave you.
   ~ Ephesians 4:32
Unforgiveness can cause physical as well as emotional damage. In setting others free, we set ourselves free to a more abundant life, a life not burdened down with bitterness and resentment. 
Painting ~Laesende Kvinde Oil on panel
Carl Holsoe 1863-1935
Wiki Commons public domain
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...