Pages

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

We Are Not What We Once Were

I was out with a friend today, and as we chatted about children and families, talk turned to growth. Our own growth as women and mothers. She made a comment that I think is well to remember...that even though we might not feel today like we're growing and maturing in our faith and how we respond to life, that if we would consider how we've grown and changed over a period of time, then we can more easily see it. And be encouraged by it! We are not what we, by God's grace, will be, but, thankfully, we are not what we once were. And that is by God's grace as well.

Our conversation this morning reminded me of a recent devotional reading. Let me share it with you. It was an encouragement to me. Perhaps it will be for you also.

from Heart of the Matter, Nov. 18 entry by Timothy Lane and Paul David Tripp :
I can be glad that God's Word is a mirror into my heart and that God puts people in my life to help me to see myself more accurately. I can be excited about my potential to learn, change, and grow. I will also seek godly help. The cross opens me up to the resources of God's grace. One of those resources is the body of Christ. I will not live independently. I will take advantage of biblical teaching available to me. I will seek the fellowship of a small group. I will pursue the wisdom of mature brothers and sisters. I will try to benefit from the accountability a close friend can provide. And I will take advantage of all these resources by being honest about my struggles of heart and behavior.

Painting ~ Cup of Tea, Walter Granville-Smith, 1870-1938
WikiGallery, public domain
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...