Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

On Imperfections and Failures

I spent a good part of the day taking out the quilting I'd done on the baby quilt I'd hoped to finish this week. I got about a fourth of it quilted yesterday, but it was a really sloppy job. I'm attempting to learn to do short-arm quilting on an EQ3 frame. Half of me wants to give up. The other half wants to learn how to do this. So today I meticulously picked out all the sloppy quilting I'd done and started over. The first change was to use a thread color that wouldn't show up as much. That way I could hide a lot of mistakes! I watched a couple of videos online and re-racked more precisely. I'm glad I started over. It's looking a lot better.

Don't you wish life could be that way? Just rip out the failures and start over. We've been going through family pictures and getting our daughters organized into years. Birth-1-2...8...15...19...23... Married and gone. Our time together went so quickly. So many joyful years, yet many things I'd love to just start over and do differently. But that would be a life of perfection, and it simply doesn't exist this side of heaven.

That's a good thing. As much as we'd like it to be otherwise, imperfections and failures in ourselves, others, and life's situations send us to the Redeemer. He is the only one who can give us beauty for ashes, joy for mourning, praise for heaviness.
To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified. ~ Isaiah 61:3
Be further encouraged with these words from C.H. Spurgeon....
"It shall not be the spirit of praise for the spirit of heaviness, though that were a fair exchange, but as your heaviness you tried to keep to yourself, so your praise you shall not keep to yourself, it shall be a garment to you, external and visible, as well as inward and profound. Wherever you are it shall be displayed to others, and they shall see and take knowledge of you that God has done great things for you whereof you are glad."
I have trusted in Your lovingkindness; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvationI will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me. ~ Psalm 13:5-6

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...