Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

On Saturdays I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.

Outside my window...
Lovely autumn. Colors haven't been as brilliant this year, but it's a trade-off for longer-lasting colorful hillsides.

A Picture to Share...

A cardinal outside my kitchen window in the Japanese Maple. 













 


From the kitchen...
I made some carrot cookies for our Mom's Discussion Group this week. It's a cookie you can feel good about eating!  It's from a 1981 Pillsbury Simply From Scratch booklet that's been a favorite for many, many years. It's one of those pages in the cookbook that has batter stains and crumbs on it. Tell-tell signs that this a favorite! Sharing the recipe with you.


Carrot Drop Cookies with Orange Glaze
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup cooked, mashed and cooled carrots
1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract (I used vanilla)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins

Glaze:
1 tbsp margarine or butter, softened
1.5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
2-5 tbsp orange juice
  • Heat oven to 375*F 
  • In large bowl, combine sugar, shortening, egg, carrots and vanilla; beat well.
  • Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
  • Stir in flour, baking powder, salt and raisins.
  • Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  • Beat for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown.
  • Immediately remove from cookie sheet; cool.
  • In small bowl, blend glaze ingredients until smooth. 
  • Spread over cooled cookies.
Yield: about 4 dozen


Noticing the sound of... 
The ticking of the clock that tells me I'd better have a cookie and a glass of milk and call it a day.


Thankful...
That I could see family last week.

Thinking...

About love as action, in loving as Jesus loves. He loved me before I loved Him. He loves more than I love. He took the initiative. If I were to love as He loves, I would be thinking about loving other people more than I think about how much they love me. Jesus does want me to love Him, and it's right for me to want others to love me, but to be like Jesus, it's a good thing to out-love the other person. I've been attempting to do that more the past couple of weeks. It's amazing.

From the sewing room...
Ready to put the border on a tablerunner. Will show a picture soon.
 
Learning...
Some systematic theology. We listened a bit to Driveby Theology with Todd Friel while we were out and about today. It's 18-minute segments CDs from his radio program that My Beloved is listening to on his commute to work. If you check it out, try not to be taken aback by the title of the program. It's about genuine repentance. We first heard him speak at an Answers in Genesis Seminar and bought the CDs there. I'm eager to hear more.


This coming week I'm looking forward to...
Having a slower week and finishing my tablerunner.


From the garden...  
Trimmed back some asters and planted some Knock Out Roses, at long last before it gets too cold.

Around the house...
We decided to move our bedroom upstairs and move the guest room downstairs for several reasons, one being the needed exercise in climbing the stairs. I can already feel my legs strengthening, and my walk up the inclines in the cemetery this week was not nearly as taxing. Rewarded.

A thought from my Quiet Time...
From Knowing God Through the Year by J.I. Packer.

In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: 
God has made the one as well as the other, 
so that man may not find out anything that will be after him.
Ecclesiastes 7:14
Up to this point, the preacher has helped us to see what wisdom is not. Does he give us any guidance as to what it is? Indeed he does.  "Fear God and keep his commandments" (12:13). Trust and obey him, reverence him, worship him, be humble before him and never say more than you mean when you pray to him (5:1-7). Do good (3:12). Remember that God will someday take account of you (11:9), so eschew, even in secret, things that you will be ashamed of when they come to light before God (12:14). Live in the present, and enjoy it thoroughly (9:7-10). Seek grace to work hard at whatever life calls you to do (9:10), and enjoy your work as you do it (2:24). Leave to God its issues; let him measure its ultimate worth. Your part is to use all the good sense and enterprise at your command in exploiting the opportunities that lie before you (11:1-6).

Currently reading...
Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches by Russell D. Moore. This book was suggested to me by my daughter and son-in-law, who hope someday to adopt. It discusses adoption as part of the Great Commission.  Sharing a paragraph from the book:

Adoption is not just about couples who want children--or who want more children. Adoption is about an entire culture within our churches, a culture that sees adoption as part of our Great Commission mandate and as a sign of the gospel itself. This book is intended for families who want to adopt and wonder whether they should. It is also intended for parents with children who've been adopted and who wonder how to raise them from here. It is for middle-aged fathers and mothers whose children have just told them they are thinking about adoption.

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...