Pages

Monday, April 27, 2020

The Pilgrim's Progress

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan has been in continuous print since its publication in 1678 and has been translated into more than 200 languages. I've read it more than once, but to be honest, I found it difficult to follow the entrance and exits of the various characters and to grasp their significance. It perplexed me as to why it continued to be so popular around the world, except for the possibility that it had been propelled by God to be used to further the gospel.

Over the weekend, however, My Beloved and I watched a dramatization of Pilgrim's Progress on Amazon Prime, and the simple manner in which the way of salvation was portrayed was quite compelling. (Perhaps I had just needed more visual cues to help me understand.) While the publication date for the movie was 2006, the cinematography and acting were noticeably backseat to the story that was being told. Which, actually, may have been a good thing since it drew me into the storyline and not the scenery. The movie is also available on YouTube.



Amazon Prime also has a documentary on John Bunyan that we've enjoyed watching: John Bunyan, The Journey of a Pilgrim.

I recommend both--a good way to spend one of these Covid-19 evenings.






.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...