Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Evaluating Doors

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ferrara,_Castello_Estense,_prigioni,_porte.jpg

Reading through Acts and coming to the account of Paul and Silas in the Philippian jail (16:27-37). Thinking about God's will and guidance as the earthquake shook the prison doors open. I would have considered this more than just a little nudge toward a decision I'd been fervently praying about. Sure seems like an answer to prayer. God, get me out of here. Sure thing, here's the open door.

I would have gratefully walked (run) out. But Paul and Silas didn't. Didn't they recognize God's hand in all of this? Yes, they did. And that's the point. There was more involved in this decision than what most eyes could see. They were wisdom thinking. They knew there was more ministry on this side of the door at that moment than on the other side.

I don't know about you, but most of the time when I pray, I have a pretty good idea of how I'd like that prayer answered. When I see just the slightest hint of circumstances moving in that direction, I'm drawn that way. Open door, open window, doesn't matter. I'll walk in or out, climb in or out. Problem is, it doesn't always turn out to be the right entrance or exit. I'm learning (too slowly) not to pray for opened or closed doors. Closed doors are not always locked doors, either. Just ones that God might be requiring a bit of putting feet to prayers.

There have been countless points of decision in my life. Some have been mine alone to make. Some have involved my family. Those can be the most challenging because of other people impacted by the decision. It can also be challenging (discouraging, disheartening, there are countless adjectives I could give it) when My Beloved doesn't see decision points as I do. I've often chaffed (mildly put) at this. I'm coming to realize over the years, though, that God directs our home through my husband as the head. And in understanding that, I can rest in God's sovereign care and guidance. That's not to say that I think My Beloved's decisions are always the right ones, but God uses everything for our good and His glory. And in that understanding I can rest.

As I was reading this account in Acts, I was reminded of a book that God used to teach me how to think more biblically about His guidance. If, perhaps, you're in the midst of decision making, I'd like to share a paragraph with you about evaluating doors from Decision Making and the Will of God by Garry Friesen.
On the basis of these *passages, we can make the following conclusions about the place of open doors in guidance and decision making: (1) the term door refers to an opportunity, usually related to the effective ministry of the Word; (2) opportunities, like everything else, come through God's sovereignty; (3) most of the time open doors should be utilized as part of wise, resourceful living for the Lord (Eph. 5:15-16); (4) if a greater opportunity or more pressing work is at hand, it is proper to pass by the open door; and (5) an open door is not a providential command from God. Doors facilitate entrance. It is foolish to climb through a back window or tear down a wall when the front door is open.

A final word on so-called "closed doors." The need for open doors certainly implies the existence of closed doors, though Scripture never uses the term. Paul did not have a "closed door" mentality. If he was sovereignly prevented from pursuing a sound plan, he simply waited and tried again later. He did not view a blocked endeavor as a "closed door" sign from God that his plan was faulty. He accepted the fact that he could not pursue that plan at that time. Yet he continued to desire, pray, and plan for the eventual accomplishment of the goal. This approach is clearly demonstrated in Paul's attempts to visit Rome (Rom 1:10-13).
*1 Corinthians 16:8-9, 2 Corinthians 2:12-13, Colossians 4:3

-------------------------
I'm thankful that God's sovereign will finds fulfillment of my good and God's glory.

Painting ~ Estense Castle, dungeon, Ferrara Italy
by Palikap via Wikimedia Commons
Creative Commons Share Alike 4.0 International
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...