Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

On Saturdays I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.
 
Outside my window...
Autumn is shedding her color with fallen leaves like a brilliant tree skirt. We took a drive in the mountains today to immerse ourselves in autumn's grandeur.

A Picture to Share...















From the sewing room...
I diverged from my table runner to making a Bible bag for my secret sister last week. Then I decided to make myself one this week, and then another for a friend. It has five inside pockets on one side for a pen, tissues, cell phone, etc. so the Bible can slide easily into the bag, and two pockets on the outside. The back of the black one is quilted. I quilted the front and back of the red one, but I think I like just the back quilted the best. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the first one I made. For my own reminder, I'm including a scan of the feature fabric.

I'm thinking about making them to sell to help fund my fabric love. Maybe opening an Etsy shop, if I can figure out how much my time is worth, and if I have the time to put into it. Only 24 hours for each of us. No, make that 16 for me. I turn into a pumpkin at 10:00. Maybe I should think instead about how much someone might want to pay for one...but I think, as C.S. Lewis might put it, it will have to be the other way 'round. And Etsy will probably have to wait.



Learning...
Which stabilizers are best to use for fabric bags.


This coming week I'm looking forward to...
Making another bag or two, if time allows.

From the kitchen... Simple, yet delicious!  
Simple Sausage Pasta Toss from Healthy Cooking Magazine
(Serves 5, but I cut the recipe in half for the two of us.)

8 oz. uncooked multigrain spaghetti
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp. olive oil
3/4 lb. Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/4 in. slices
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
1 an (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained

1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast bread crumbs in oil over medium heat; remove from the heat and set aside.

2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and olives. Cook and stir until heated through. Drain pasta; add to skillet. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.

Noticing the sound of...
My Beloved listening to hymns online, testing out his new laptop.  

Thinking...
About the sorrow of the sister and long time friend who buried their best friend today. But they do not sorrow as the world sorrows. And so shall they ever be with the Lord.

Thankful...
That this is just an earthly journey on our way to our eternal home. I want you to go with me.
 
From the garden...  
Almost time for cutting back and letting it all rest awhile.

Around the house...
The rhythm of routine for another week or so.

A thought from my Quiet Time...
Thinking about the woman of Athens mentioned in Acts 17, when Paul preached Christ and some came to belief.  "But some men joined him and believed, among whom also were Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named Damaris and others with them." This is the only mention of her, but it makes me wonder what it was about her that caused her to be named among the believers. Little known, yet counted among the believers. What could be greater?

Currently reading...
Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I read this book last year as well during November. I'm taking my time to read and ponder the thoughts once again. Sharing a brief paragraph with you.

Gratitude is a lifestyle. A hard-fought, grace-infused, biblical lifestyle. And though there's a sense in which anyone can be thankful--for God has extended His common grace to all--the true glory and the transforming power of gratitude are reserved for those who know and acknowledge the Giver of every good gift and who are recipients of His redeeming grace.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...