Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

On Saturdays I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.
 
Outside my window...
Bird feathers scattered by the bedroom window. Two neighborhood cats lying low earlier in the week. Glad I don't know which one did this deed.

A Picture to Share...



 












Almost finished with a wall quilt. This one has a John Deere theme.


From the sewing room...
Pulled out the John Deere tractor quilt top this week that I had completed not long ago to practice some free-motion quilting.
I had planned this to be a baby quilt, but I didn't notice on the back while I was quilting that I wasn't getting the tension just right. The stitches aren't even and flat all over, so it won't do for a baby quilt. It'll have to be a wall hanging or maybe a lap quilt that won't get much wear. I just need to bind it and I'll be on to the next lesson. Woo-hoo!

I'm not sure what I'll do with this quilt. I can't think of anyone to give it to, and it won't go with anything in my house. I thought about hanging it in My Beloved's shed where he keeps his John Deere, but he said... uh,... no. He thinks it deserves a better home than that. :-)  So..... I've decided to do a free giveaway to the first person living within the 48 contiguous U.S. states who emails me about it. It's a 34 x 34 size quilt in John Deere tractor motifs and colors--green, yellow, black, with gray tonal blocks. You can email me at HomewardThoughts@gmail.com. Now, keep in mind--this is a practice piece.

Update: The John Deere quilt has been spoken for.  :-)

Learning...
Finished an online video class this week on machine quilting
. I can see it's going to take a lot of practice!

This coming week I'm looking forward to...
Seeing little Elijah and his parents. :-)


From the kitchen...
Easy, but a little special. I've made these for so long that I don't measure, so adjust to your own tastes.

Glazed Carrots
1 lb cut carrots, cooked to crisp-tender (I like to use baby carrots)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Remove carrots from pan and keep warm. Heat margarine and brown sugar over low heat until bubbly. Stir in orange peel and add carrots, coating with mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, on low for about 10 min. more.

Noticing the sound of...
The dishwasher. Such a homey sound for reading or blogging after supper.

Thinking...

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. ~ Psalm 19:14
Been thinking for the last couple of days on this verse that I have on my dresser as my constant counsel. My words, whether from my lips, pen, or keyboard flow from the meditations of my heart. Too often my meditations and resulting words are not acceptable in his sight. This has been true this week. And yet... He is faithful and just to forgive and redeem.
Thankful...
Grateful for grace.

 
From the garden...  
Worked a good while in the gardens today, cutting back and clearing leaves. My Beloved mowed and mulched the leaves with his faithful John Deere. This is probably the last big day in the yard. I like a tidy yard with flowers and all, but I welcome autumn with its winding down of outdoor chores and a little rest for us both. 

Around the house...
Rather laid back this week, but after Thanksgiving I need to move around some things in a couple of closets. Not something to do a little here and there. Major work that I've been procrastinating. I'll be more motivated about it, though, as I look forward to my girls coming right after Christmas!

A thought from my Quiet Time...
Pondering 2 Thessalonians 3:10--"If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat." I understand how those who walk in the way of the world prefer unemployment checks to finding a job--sometimes those checks pay more than a job would. But for a follower of Christ, it's dishonest gain.

Currently reading...
Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. Sharing a brief paragraph with you.

True thankfulness requires a "you" to say "thank you" to. And to be thankful to the living God implies a corresponding level of trust in Him that can only reside in a believer's heart.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...