Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday Ponderings ~ Who Did It?

https://goldenagepaintings.blogspot.ca/2012_04_01_archive.html

Pondering some thoughts this evening from the book of Nehemiah. If you're familiar with the Scriptures, you'll recall that the wall had been destroyed around Jerusalem, and God used Nehemiah to rebuild it against great obstacles. Pastor had encouraged us to read through Nehemiah during the week to get the big picture of what had happened.

As I read, and as pastor pointed out today, the book of Nehemiah is really about what God did, not about what Nehemiah did. He was simply an instrument in the hands of our redeeming God. I was glad to be reminded of that.

As I've pondered more about it, it struck me that Nehemiah was a cupbearer to the king, not a master builder. God used him outside of his "professional field." It is God who overcomes the obstacles and accomplishes the impossible, not ourselves.

Nehemiah had a heart for the work, but where did that compassion originate? From God the Father. Too often there's much made of "heroes of the Bible," people that God used mightily to accomplish His plans. But not all were eager for the work. Moses, Gideon, Jonah, are a few who come readily to mind. And the Apostle Paul had to be blinded before he saw the light. But for whatever reason, God chose to use them. He also chooses to use those who are willing for the work, like Nehemiah. I'd rather be a willing one, but I know that oftentimes I'm not. God goes on with His plans, nevertheless.

Far better to point ourselves and our children to the God of the "heroes" rather than to the heroes themselves. Our strength and success is from God.
"O Lord, I beseech You, may Your ear be attentive to the prayer of Your servant and the prayer of Your servants who delight to revere Your name, and make Your servant successful today and grant him compassion before this man.” (Nehemiah 1:11)
Nehemiah's success was not "his ability to motivate others; his resilience to opposition; his practical, balanced grip on reality," as someone described him (not my pastor). It was not his ability, his resilience, his grip on reality, but rather God who gave success to His intended purpose.

So I ask myself...

Is it about me, or is it about God?
Do I shrink from a task because I don't feel qualified?
Do I try to muster up success-producing personal characteristics?
Do I look to my own qualifying characteristics, or do I look to God to strengthen me for the task He assigns to me?
Do I encourage myself and others in trust and obedience to the God of the Bible?

Painting ~ A Young Lady Reading in an Interior, George Goodwin Kilburne 1839-1924
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...