Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

Heart of the Matter

https://www.ccef.org/resources/books/heart-matter
I like to begin each day with a nugget of truth from God's Word and ponder on it throughout the morning as I go about my routine tasks. I typically read through a daily devotional book throughout the year, and this year I've chosen Heart of the Matter from the Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation (CCEF). This is a devotional that focuses on heart change, on seeing the gospel in our everyday lives.

Today's entry is on relationships:
What happens in the messiness of relationships is that our hearts are revealed, our weaknesses are exposed, and we start coming to the end of ourselves. Only when this happens do we reach out for the help God alone can provide. Weak and needy people finding their hope in Christ's grace are what mark a mature relationship..... While we would like to avoid the mess and enjoy deep and intimate community, God says that it is in the very process of working through the mess that intimacy is found.
Food for thought, indeed. I too often want to avoid the uneasy relationships. But I'm reminded today that honeymoons don't last long, and working through the difficulties can mature me and the relationship. Even if the spouse/family/friend relationship doesn't improve or deepen (and I've had that happen, heartbreaking as it may be), I've been pushed to a closer relationship with God. Either way, I'm better for it.

P.S. If you click on the book, it will take you to CCEF's site.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...