Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Wait and Do Not Fear

When I taught high school writing and speech skills, one of the areas we discussed was the use of fear to influence and persuade the reader or audience. It's an unethical tactic that involves exaggeration and/or lying. It's called fear mongering. We seem to be in a new era of media reporting--both media news and social media--that has embraced this form of "reporting." It's effective--people today are living in fear of "the other side." It's also wrong.

How do we respond in times like these? Shut down our news feed? I've found that it's good not to look as often, but I do want to be informed. Get angry? Okay, if it's righteous anger because of the wrongfulness of it and the damage it does. But I've learned that whatever is being reported may not be the way it really is, so I hold off awhile. I'm sure you've learned that also these past several months, particularly. It appears to be the purpose of the media to turn us against one another.

What we're seeing is an effort to save what is valued in life--on both sides. We also are seeing extreme fear coupled with extreme self-focus. Many people are afraid because what they want out of life may be altered or denied them. Many other people are afraid of what these people may do to them if they get it.

In my lifetime, there have been presidents whose programs, personalities, or perverted views I have disdained. But I have not lived in fear or reacted as many are doing today. I think that probably some of you who read this may feel the same way. God calls me to not be fearful because He gives peace.
Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; 
not as the world gives do I give to you. 
Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
John 14:27

My faith is in God, not in man. God is sovereign and will have His purposes fulfilled. I eagerly anticipate what He may be doing in America in spite of all the raucous and cacophonous chaos.

And so I watch and expectantly wait. I do hope you know Him, and are watching and waiting as well.

Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.
Cease from anger and forsake wrath;
Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing.
Psalm 37:7-8
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...