Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

So I Can Practice

https://www.wikiart.org/en/carl-holsoe/woman-with-a-fruit-bowl-1900
The past couple of days have been mostly spent waiting. I had taken my mother to the hospital early yesterday morning for a procedure that we thought was to have been done shortly after she was admitted and was settled into her room with all the preliminaries. We waited several hours, but then it was decided to postpone until today. Thankfully, it was decided this morning that the procedure wasn't necessary, but that she would stay for observation and probably be released tomorrow morning.

Today was a cold, hazardous wintry day with just enough snow and black ice to cancel schools and local government offices and to keep most sensible people off the roads here in the south. Another reason to be thankful that I didn't need to be at the hospital this morning. I was glad for the extra time when I received course access information mid-morning for a tutorial of my classes, but there was some glitch in the system, and even My Beloved guru couldn't get me up and running. So we requested tech support and finally got access about a half hour before I needed to start supper prep. It's been a couple of those kind of days where I got up early, hurried up, and waited.

I'm not very good at waiting. My Beloved has told me upon occasion (not today!) that I'm patient, but I know that I'm impatiently patient. I can tolerate delay without coming unglued because I know there's not really much choice in the matter, but too often I'm not settled in my spirit about it. I just want to get on with whatever. I tend to wait impatiently for whatever is slow to show.

For several years I had Psalm 37:7 framed and sitting on a table where I was often reminded to "Wait on the Lord and wait patiently for Him." He continues to teach me patience by practice. That's how we learn--we practice on whatever we're not very good at yet. And since I'm still not very good at waiting, God keeps bringing situations before me so I can practice. It's a lesson slowly learned.

And today was practice day.

Image ~ Woman With A Fruit Bowl
Carl Vilhelm Holsoe, c1900 
public domain via WikiArt


.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...