Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

What We Value May Not Be Valuable

I just had to get out into the beauty and warmth of the sunshine yesterday--71 degrees in mid-February! So after finishing the morning's routine, I went out to lunch with My Beloved and then stopped in an antiques shop after dropping him at the church for a brief meeting.

I enjoy browsing through antiques, although I'm not much of a buyer. I mostly like to look and spot an I-used-to-have-one-of-those and reminisce a bit. Actually, though, yesterday I was on a search for vintage jewelry. Not that I care much for vintage jewelry, either, but I have hopes of making some quilted handbags and using it as a bit of added interest. Although most of the pieces I was looking at were a bit pricey for me, I did find a couple of things that fit my interest and purse.

One vendor lady told me she had about 4,000 pieces of jewelry! Most of it was at her home since she didn't have enough room for it in the case. I thought that if she'd lower her prices, she could sell a lot more of it. She says she loves jewelry, and I guess she priced it with that value in mind.

It brought to mind that we all value something. The vendor lady values vintage jewelry. God values a gentle and quiet spirit..."the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God" (I Peter 3:4). Such a spirit is not easily gained in our current culture. Everywhere we go there's noise to distract us from any stillness of spirit. Seldom can we go into a store or restaurant without having music or TV screaming values contrary to God's. It requires diligence to remove as much noise as we can and to provide times of quiet contemplation. Our spirits are often disquieted because we surround ourselves with the antithesis of that which will quiet our souls. What we learn to value may or may not be valuable at all.
Picture: Some of my recent vintage jewelry finds
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...