Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Ponderings ~ God's Rich Mercy


Pondering this afternoon on a thought from our Sunday School class this morning, borne from Ephesians 2:4: God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, ....

Mercy cannot be reduced to a simple definition. One we often hear is "not getting what we deserve." When we look at God's nature in mercy, though, we see a much broader, richer picture. We see God's inexhaustible mercy bound up in His great love. 

His love is perfect. He cannot love us any more than he does right now; neither can he love us any less--because his love is perfect. Perfect love casts out all fear.  

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
~ I John 4:18

Perfect love casts out fear that God will love us less because of what we've done or failed to do. Because of his great love, he is rich in mercy toward us. His mercy is not merely his holding back some sort of punishment, but it is his pouring out of his perpetual mercy and oftentimes giving us what we do deserve because that is the most merciful thing to do. The consequences we must live with are very often God's messengers of mercy. 

What we often receive from God's hand is a relentless reminder of the dismal life and heartache that sin always brings. It is his love and mercy that such a continual reminder leads us to abandon that which separates us from himself. He is always wanting to rescue us--from the world, the flesh, and the devil. I think, perhaps, that the most resistant force is ourselves. I know I need most rescued from myself--my own thinking, my own ways of making things work, my own idols, my own seeking after that which is contrary to his ways.
It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed,
because his compassions fail not.

They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.

The LORD is good unto them that wait for him,
to the soul that seeketh him
.
Lamentations 3:22-24
Painting by Carlton Alfred Smith 1853-1946
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...