Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Good and the Bad of the Day

My hurting friend came to visit this evening. I hope the time spent together was an encouragement to her. We shared tea and recent sewing projects and talked a little of how things are going. Don't you sometimes wish you could just make things all better for someone?

I spent some time in a waiting room today, having my blood pressure raised by an inane talk show. I stayed outside until the last minute so I wouldn't have to listen any longer than necessary. What irritates me the most is how these shows shape women's thinking. Some celebrity mother of four talking about how women can do it all--have children, a partner??, a career, and on and on.  And how she just looooves her job, and how she told the kids that she's important, too, and she needs to do things that she likes. Most of these celebrities turn their children over to nannies, and they call that being a mother? Do they think we think they do their own cooking and grocery shopping, too? Which is what I did on the way home. As I was waiting in the check-out lane, a headline on a magazine caught my eye--(Some celebrity) uses (another celebrity's) nanny.  Who's really caring for the children? The children probably don't even know themselves. Except for the unusually high blood pressure reading, I got a good report. The inane talk show didn''t.

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...