Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

Today I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.  

A picture to share...
Isn't this a lot like spring cleaning? Little Elijah (18 mos.) has cleaned up his room.

Outside my window...
A lone robin gathering nesting materials. I've watched this single robin for several days now. He is surely one who is preparing for his approaching family! I do hope whoever becomes Mrs. Robin will be appreciative of his diligent efforts.


Noticing the sound of...
My Beloved getting dressed for the day. We're off soon to look for a new front door! And that means lunch out, too. :-)
Thankful for...
God's mission of mercy, that He continues to rescue me from myself.

Looking to the ways of my household...
Mostly the quiet rhythm of routine, but in addition I brushed down doors and door frames throughout the house. They're dark wood panel doors and really show collected dust. The panel doors upstairs in the bedrooms are painted white and the dust is almost invisible, but I knew it was there. It's hard to deny when the dust goes flying!

This coming week I'm looking forward to...
attending the oldest daughter's wedding of a homeschooling family that we haven't seen for awhile. A delightful family!

Thinking...
about the house about mile from us that burned this week, reminding me how temporal our homes on earth are. Praying for the family, that God will use the circumstance to draw them to Himself.
 
From the kitchen....


Minestrone soup, chock full of vegetables, and oh, so good on a chilly day!  I usually double or triple the recipe so we can have leftovers. Soup is so much better the next day!


1 bacon strip, diced
2/3 cup sliced smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, quartered (sometimes I leave it out)
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped carrot
2 tbsp chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (5.5 oz) tomato juice
1/4 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt, optional
1/8 tsp pepper
1/3 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup cooked elbow macaroni
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

     In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towel. In the drippings, saute sausage, onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Stir in the carrot and celery. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until sausage is lightly browned; drain.
      Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato juice, zucchini, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the beans and macaroni; heat through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bacon.
     Yield: 2 servings     ~ from Cooking for 2 Magazine, Winter 2006


A thought from my Quiet Time....
Reading through the book of James and being reminded that
the perfect result of trials that test my faith is that I may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. God’s Word tells me to consider such trials all joy. Joy?!  But how, in the midst of the difficulties and heartbreak that trials so often bring into my life, can I have fullness of joy?

By considering it joy. It starts as a willful attitude of my heart, regardless of my feelings. And that’s not to say it’s enjoyable or pleasurable or effortless or painless. It’s challenging. All commands of Scripture are. It’s not a natural response. Feelings are. But the major key to joy in my trials is how I consider it--where my thoughts go with it and about it. 
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trialsknowing that the testing of your faith produces enduranceAnd let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.    ~James 1:2-4

Reflecting creativity, in His image…
Had another $10 off coupon for a fabric store, so I matched up a couple of pieces to coordinate with some fabric I already have. Sounds simple, I know, but nothing is really inconsequential.

I'm learning....

Continuing to work on the baby quilt and learning how to get points to keep their points!


Currently reading...
Almost finished the audio book, Defending Your Faith: An Introduction to Apologetics by R.C. Sproul. I've gleaned much from it, but I would like to get a hard copy and read it more closely. I listened to the book as I exercised on the treadmill and need to read more attentively, take notes, and gain more understanding. A bit to rouse your interest:
The Apologist's Task: Proof and Persuasion
Apologetics, however, does not just entail defense. It also involves offense, the positive task of constructing a case for Christianity that shows itself to be applicable to every culture, as well as being the only (and therefore the best) alternative to the world's philosophical and theological systems of thought. In other words, apologetics can be used to show that Christianity is true and that all non-Christian worldviews are false. The best way to go about constructing a case for the Christian faith is partly the concern of this book.

You may also enjoy reading what other simple women are saying and doing these days. Just click here to go to The Simple Woman's Daybook site. I'll be posting my journal on Saturdays. Do stop by again.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...