Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

Today I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.
 
A picture to share...
 My reminder each morning as I awaken and look across the room.



Outside my window...The daffodils have pushed out of the ground about an inch! Spring is on its way! Oh, the grandeur and glory of God's creative hand in the rhythm of the seasons!!

Noticing the sound of...
Click here to go there
Singing birds in the bright sunshine!
Praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD from the heavens;
     Praise Him in the heights!
Mountains and all hills;
         Fruit trees and all cedars;

Beasts and all cattle;
         Creeping things and winged fowl;
Kings of the earth and all peoples;

Let them praise the name of the LORD,
         For His name alone is exalted;
         His glory is above earth and heaven. 
Psalm 148: 1, 9,10,11,13
Thankful for...
the oneness I have with My Beloved that both us hold very precious and that neither of us are willing to lessen for any cause.

Looking to the ways of my household...
Mostly routine goings on, but I did get the stove and microwave cleaned, also all the upholstered furniture vacuumed with some help from My Beloved. That's eleven pieces of furniture--cushions off, some brush-dusting in the tucks and crevices, and wondering where all the dust comes from! How nice to find one of Elijah's blocks from his Christmas visit under a sofa cushion and some goldfish crackers in the rocker in the room where he was rocked at night. Sweet visions of my precious growing-so-quickly-out-of-babyhood Elijah.

WV Quilt Shop Back Room
This coming week I hope to...
go to the WV Quilt Shop. It's in a charming old hardware store with wooden floors and tin ceiling, a turn of the century brick building. Michelle has a wonderful back room with table after table of wonderful sample cuts that you can purchase by the pound. I'm hoping to find some pieces that I can fussy cut and use as the center interest of some quilt blocks.

Thinking...
About my visit to my hurting friend's home this afternoon.


From the kitchen....
Apple Streusel Muffins this week. Sharing the recipe with you.
Apple Streusel Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples

Streusel Topping

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon cold butter

  • In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  • In another bowl, whisk the eggs, butter and vanilla.
  • Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be stiff).
  • Fold in apples.
  • Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full.
  • In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
  • Cut in butter until crumbly.
  • Sprinkle over batter.
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.
    Yield: 1 dozen

A thought from my Quiet Time....
Reading through Titus and instruction about relationships between older and younger women. Chapter 2, verses 3-5

Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their childrento be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.
The purpose? So that God's Word will not be dishonored. It's not about me. It's about Him.

Reflecting creativity, in His image…
This week I designed another quilt on my own in EQ6. (Our church is growing with new babies!)  I'm using some of the same safari fabric that I began using in Elijah's quilt and used some of it in the last baby quilt. Looking forward to pulling different fabrics together for this one. 

I'm learning....

that life isn't fair. Shouldn't I already know that?! I do, but it's accepting it and being content with it that I struggle. I'm realizing more and more that God wants me to ask Him for His grace to live with unfairness and be content in how He is allowing my life to unfold. His grace is sufficient, if I will seek it. I'm doing that more.

Currently reading...
Still reading and pondering Has Christianity Failed You by Ravi Zacharias. A snippet to share today: 
The decisions we make during the throes of wrenching emotion sometimes have great ramifications. Thus, skeptics often cavalierly charge that those who believe in God only do so out of psychological need or emotional fear. How easy it is for them to choose to ignore the fact that many skeptics are skeptical about God for the equally distorting psychological reasons of hurt, pride, or just plain self-aggrandizement.

You may also enjoy reading what other simple women are saying and doing these days. Just click here to go to The Simple Woman's Daybook site. I'll be posting my journal on Saturdays. Do stop by again.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...