Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Sitting on Pinnacles

Continuing to read and glean from Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss. Written in journal form, it begins with Katherine’s (Katie’s) 16th birthday and follows her maturing into womanhood. I read a few entries in the evenings and ponder its pages--filled with food for thought. Want to share another brief excerpt with you.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_Friendly_Call_by_William_Merritt_Chase_(4990403136).jpg


October 30--I'm sure I don't know what I was going to say when I was interrupted just then. Something in the way of self-glorification, most likely. I remember the contempt with which I looked after Amelia as she left our house, and the pinnacle on which I sat perched for some days, when I compared my life with hers. Alas, it was my view of life of which I was lost in admiration, for I am sure that if I ever come under the complete dominion of Christ's gospel I shall not know the sentiment of contempt. I feel truly ashamed and sorry that I am still so far from being penetrated with that spirit.

....... My pride has had a terrible fall. As I sat on my throne, looking down on all the Amelias in the world, I felt a profound pity at their delight in petty trifles, their love of position, of mere worldly show and passing vanities. 

There was a terrible struggle in my soul. I saw that instead of brooding over the display I had made of myself to Dr. Cabot, I ought to be thinking soley of my appearance in the sight of God, who could see far more plainly than any earthly eye could all my miserable pride and self-conceit.
...At last I sent the children away, and knelt down and told the whole story to Him who knew what I was when He had compassion on me, called me by my name, and made me His own child. And here I found a certain peace. Christian, on his way to the celestial city, met and fought his Apollyons and his giants, too; but he got there at last! 
~ Elizabeth Prentiss, Stepping Heavenward, 1869

Painting ~ A Friendly Call, William Merritt Chase 1849-1916
Creative Commons 2.0 Generic
http://www.graceandtruthbooks.com/product/stepping-heavenward-solid-ground
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...