Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Is It All You Do It For?


Stepping Heavenward, Elizabeth Prentiss, 1869

http://www.graceandtruthbooks.com/product/stepping-heavenward-solid-groundThe title of this book caught my attention. It’s written in journal form, beginning with Katherine’s (Katie’s) 16th birthday and follows her maturing into womanhood. This is one of Elisabeth Elliot's favorite books, and she writes, “This book is a treasure of godly and womanly wisdom, told with disarming candor and humility, yet revealing a deep heart’s desire to know God.”

A journal excerpt:

July 30 – I met Dr. Cabot [pastor] today, and could not help asking the question: “is it right for me to sing and play in company when all I do it for is to be admired?”

“Are you sure it is all you do it for?” he returned.

“Oh,” I said, “I suppose there may be a sprinkling of desire to entertain and please, mixed with the love of display.”

“Do you suppose that your love of display, assuming you have it, would be forever slain by your merely refusing to sing in company?”

“I thought that might give it a pretty hard blow,” I said, “if not its death blow.”

“Meanwhile, in punishing yourself you punish your poor innocent friends,” he said laughing. “No, child, go on singing; God has given you this power of entertaining and gratifying your friends. But pray, without ceasing, that you may sing from pure benevolence and not from pure self-love.”

“Why, do people pray about such things as that?” I cried.

“Of course they do. Why, I would pray about my little finger, if my little finger went astray.”

I looked at his little finger, but saw no signs of its becoming schismatic.


.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...