Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What Does He Call Me?

Continuing to read through the New Testament chronologically. Coming today to the Good Shepherd passage and sharing a thought.

http://www.wikigallery.org/wiki/painting_199051/Carl-Vilhelm-Holsoe/Girl-Reading-in-a-Sunlit-Room
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hireling and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep beholds the wolf coming and leaves the sheep, and the wolf snatches them, and scatters them. He flees because he is a hireling, and is not concerned about the sheep. I am the good shepherd and I know My own, and My own know Me. ~ John 10:11-14


I've often wondered why pastors sometimes refer to themselves as shepherds/under-shepherds of the flock. Most pastors move on for one reason or another, and the sheep are left to find themselves a new shepherd. The analogy of a pastor/shepherd fails at this point. Sheep don't do that.

The sheep are of Jesus' flock, not a man's flock. The Good Shepherd never leaves us nor forsakes us. Jesus isn't a hireling. He doesn't take a more prestigious position. He doesn't go to more spiritual greener grass. He doesn't go where the pay is better.  He doesn't flee the wolves. He laid down his life. Only He did that. Only He could do that.
I am the good shepherd; and I know My own, and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
Jesus knows each of His sheep and calls us by name. Some pastors can't do that.
... the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name...
                                               ~ John 10:3
In the Bible, names had more meaning than they do today. Some names were changed at conversion to reflect some characteristic of the person. I wonder if Jesus is calling me "Vickie," or if He's calling me by a name that relates some meaning to me? I don't really need to know the name He calls me, because I answer to His voice. He speaks through the Word, the Scriptures.

But it would be awesome to know what name He has chosen, and why. I wonder what name He has written down for me in the Lamb's Book of Life? Anticipating knowing!

If you're unfamiliar with Jesus and have just a few minutes, you can listen in at True Woman to learn more about the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I hope you know His voice. Would love to see you over there.

Painting ~ Girl Reading in a Sunlit Room, Carl Vilhelm Holsoe
Wiki Gallery public domain
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...