Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

We Ask The Same

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pierre-August_Renoir_Camille_Monet_reading.jpg
Sharing a thought from my quiet time today. The teacher of the class I'm taking on Spiritual Disciplines at church encouraged us a few weeks back to pray the Psalms as we read through them. He suggested, for example, that since today is the 5th to read Psalm 5, 35, 65, etc., adding increments of 30 for that day's reading. As we read, we are to express some of the thoughts in the Psalms as prayers. I think this approach to prayer has opened my eyes and heart to much that could and should fill my prayer life.

As I read today through Psalm 35, where King David is praying for rescue from those who seek his demise and destruction, my thoughts went to our own nation's leader. While I'm not comparing our president with King David (but keep in mind that KD had his own set of weaknesses and wrongdoings), and I am sometimes myself bewildered by our president's words and actions, I pray that God will strengthen him in his inner man and draw him to Himself so that he may govern in wisdom.

Some are reacting with hatred, malice, and maliciousness. The acid that overflows the hearts of those who spew it will eventually destroy them. I pray that it will not also destroy those of whom they often speak against, those "who are quiet in the land."

King David implored God not to keep silent. We ask the same of Him today.

Do not let those who are wrongfully my enemies rejoice over me;
Neither let those who hate me without cause wink maliciously.
For they do not speak peace,
But they devise deceitful words against those who are quiet in the land.
And they opened their mouth wide against me;
They said, "Aha, aha, our eyes have seen it!"
Thou has seen it, O Lord, do not keep silent;
O Lord, do not be far from me.
Psalm 35:19-22
Painting ~ Camille Monet Reading 1873, Pierre-August Renoir 1841-1919
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...