Pages

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Changed Vantage Point

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Girl-reading-in-an-interior-carl-holsoe.jpg
When my mind begins to spin with anxiety, one of my go-to verses of scripture is Philippians 4:8--Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Oftentimes this is helpful because, for example, I may be thinking wrong thoughts. I'm imagining things that may not be true about a situation, and my imaginations bring about my anxiety.

But oftentimes, and today was one of those times, there is more that is needful. I could not think my way out of my anxiety. Sometimes when I feel anxious, I need to back up to verses 6-7: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. There are times when I need to do more than cling to a Bible verse for my anxious thoughts. I need to talk to Father God about it.

I struggled today with something that I was asked to do, a situation that I thought would be stressful. I was anxious and uptight about it. I've been growing some in this area, to just do what needs to be done as if I'm doing it for Jesus, to give that cup of cold water. And I pray and ask God to strengthen me. 

But today he did more than that. He asked me if I would be a willing instrument in his hand to show his loving care to someone, if I would work alongside him to meet that need. That cast an entirely different light on the situation. What a privilege! My thoughts were no longer on what I was about to face, but rather on working alongside Father God. The situation was still somewhat stressful, and I came home tired, but He had changed my vantage point--from mine to his. 

Painting ~ Girl Reading in An Interior, Carl Holsoe 1863-1935
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...