Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook


Today I reflect on simple thoughts and simple pleasures. My leads are somewhat similar to others in The Simple Woman's Daybook group, yet a bit different as well.



A picture to share...  
Enjoying winter throughout the house. This little guy sits by the fireplace coming into the kitchen. I'm sitting in a rocker by a window to the left.



Click here to go there
Outside my window...
My neighbors house across the street reminds me of God's mercy and care. Their son (46) had a massive stroke about a month ago, and the doctor's gave them little hope of recovery. He lives several hours away and they couldn't go to him because of their own health. They called last night to say they received a call telling them that their son had taken three steps yesterday with his walker! To God be the glory! Great things he has done! Another son (also several hours away in the other direction) flew in to drive them to see his older brother. What a grand reunion that must have been this afternoon!

Noticing the sound of ...
rustling papers from the family room. My beloved is preparing for his Sunday School class. Thank your Sunday School teacher the next time you're in class. Unless you've done it yourself or your beloved has done it, you probably have little idea of how much time and effort is put into preparation. I know my beloved gives it 10-15 hours a week. Truly a labor of love.

Thankful for...
people who counsel through books.

This coming week I hope to... 
have a hurting friend to come over for a visit. She wasn't able to come last week.

Thinking...
that I'm glad my mother is resting well in the hospital.

Looking to the ways of my household...
Mostly the routine daily tasks, but I also got my sewing room straightened up.

From the kitchen....
Today is baking day. I have a pineapple upside down cake baking in the oven. Mmm, the aroma! It's made in a 6-inch pan, so there should be no leftovers to tempt me on Monday! If you're cooking for two, or just for you and you do want leftovers, here's the recipe from Cooking for 2 Magazine. I didn't have any cherries, so I sprinkled some chopped pecans.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp. butter, melted, divided
4 maraschino cherries
4 pecan halves
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/8 sp ground allspice
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup 2% milk

Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tbsp juice. Set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and 2 tbsp butter; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour into an ungreased 6-inch round baking pan. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer in pan; place cherries and pecans in center of pineapple slices.

In a small mixing blowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and allspice. Add the egg, milk, reserved pineapple juice and remaining butter; beat just until combined. Spoon over pineapple.

Bake at 350* for 30-35 min. or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: 1 piece equals 353 calories, 11 g fat (6 saturated fat). 77 mg cholesterol, 369 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 5g protein.

Currently reading.... 
Continuing to read Has Christianity Failed You by Ravi Zacharias. (Reading slowly and pondering)

A thought from my Quiet Time.... 
Our thoughts are too human. We think God is too much like we are. Isaiah 40 ends with God asking some questions:
(1) To whom then will you compare me that I should be like him?
(2) Why do you say..., "my way is hidden from the Lord, and my right is disregarded by my God?"
(3) Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.  (from Isaiah 40:20-30)
Reflecting creativity, in His image…
Got a snowman mailbox cover put out and a banner hung on the porch. No matter how small a matter, it all reflects caring about the home and setting a welcoming atmosphere. 

I'm learning (though I often falter)....
that I may never have all I desire in all my relationships, but that I do have all I need in all my relationships.

You may also enjoy reading what other simple women are saying and doing these days. Just click here to go to The Simple Woman's Daybook site. I'll be posting my journal on Saturdays. Do stop by again.
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...