Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

A Mother's Songs

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%C3%89mile_Munier,_1888_-_Pardon_Mama.jpg
I typically like to listen online to Revive Our Hearts with Nancy Leigh DeMoss while I'm getting dressed in the mornings. She helps me set my mind on the things of God before I head downstairs to begin my day. Recently I listened to a precious tribute to a mom from her two grown daughters. 

The mom reminded me of my own daughter, who is a young mom and sings a lot to her little ones. Even the goofy stuff is tender to hear. She can even get them to cooperate easier through a song, which brings more harmony to their home. She teaches so much through her songs, and uses singing to draw the children's hearts to Jesus. 

I sent her the link to the program to encourage her, and thought I'd also encourage you to listen in, especially if you have children still at home. It was heartening to this grandma as well. Although the mother was gifted with a beautiful voice, it doesn't require a beautiful voice to sing to children. Here's a brief excerpt from the program, and if you have a few minutes to listen, click here.
Mom used music to introduce us to Jesus. Even though Julie and I had our own rooms, we often had "slumber parties." Mom would sit at our bed. She would scratch our backs, and she would sing to us. We called it "sing and scratch."
And in those sweet bedtime times, she taught us how much Jesus loves us, and how we were His precious treasures, His precious jewels. She'd sing:  

When He cometh, when He cometh to take up His jewels;
All His jewels, precious jewels, His loved and His own:
Like the stars of the morning His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty—bright gems for His crown.
Sending up a prayer for those of you who have children still living at home, that God will give wisdom and joy in the journey.
Painting ~ Pardon Mama  1888 - Emile Munier 1840-1895
Wiki Commons public domain
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...