Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

From the Bookshelf ~ Jesus Calling

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jesus+calling+oung
I had been thinking about getting a new daily devotional for the new year, and the best selling book Jesus Calling by Sarah Young was highly recommended to me.

I hadn't done any previewing of the book before purchasing it, and when I began to read the introduction and then read through the first few entries, I was uneasy of spirit. The entries seemed rather mystical. The author was writing as if Jesus himself were saying the words. I was uncomfortable with that, but something more was bothering me.

In the introduction, the author says, "I began to wonder if I could change my prayer times from monologue to dialogue. I had been writing in prayer journals for many years, but this was one-way communication: I did all the talking. Increasingly, I wanted to hear what God might want to communicate to me on a given day. I decided to 'listen' with pen in hand, writing down whatever I 'heard' in my mind." 

Her writing in this book is what she "hears" in her mind, and she equates that with Jesus talking to her. This is his part in the dialogue she seeks to establish. She is still doing all the talking on both ends of the line. This is cause for caution. 

Scripture alone is God's talking to us. That's the way He communicates with us. We are to meditate on His Word, not on our own thoughts. Our own thoughts very often lead us astray.

God tells us in Isaiah 55:8, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts. Nor are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Listening to our own thoughts calling us and saying it's Jesus calling is a dangerous call to make, and to take. 


Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. 
Romans 10:17
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...