Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

From the Sewing Room ~ Twilight Kaleidoscope Quilt

I finished the Twilight Kaleidoscope Quilt top today. Woo Hoo!! Going to take it to the quilt shop next week for quilting. This is the largest quilt I've made (63 x 89), and I don't think I'm up to trying to quilt it on my home machine right now. Don't have the time with getting ready to move to slow down and give it a go. This is the first quilting that I've had someone else do, so I'm hoping I like the results.

The Twilight Kaleidoscope Quilt is from the Quilted Kaleidoscopes Craftsy class taught by Marilyn Foreman. Love those Craftsy classes! I've made a few octagon kaleidoscope throw/baby/tablerunner quilts, but had not been very interested in four patch kaleidoscopes until I saw Marilyn's class on Craftsy. I thought her Twilight Kaleidoscopes was beautiful and the kaleidoscopes looked so much easier and took less fabric. And I love the way she has them set into the quilt.

I had been wanting to make a quilt for a friend before I move, and I thought this would be the one. So I had her choose from some large prints in my stash for the main fabric, and then I added other fabrics to bring it all together. She likes a red/black combo, so I used black as the background and red as the inner border. The backing is the same fabric as the inner border. If I do another quilt like this, though, I think I'll have each star block to be a different color. I chose to do three red star blocks because I wanted to highlight red, but I think more variety might have been a better choice since I added the red border and red backing.

Here are the fabrics that I used, mostly from my stash. I did purchase the wide red backing, so I didn't have to piece it. I cut some from it for the inner border. This is an after photo, and I didn't have much of the large floral left. It was a good choice for the kaleidoscopes.


 A couple more pictures.


My friend and I have been walking partners for several years, trying to connect with each other each week or so. I call it our walk/talk time, as we point one another Upward and Homeward. We've been friends for about 25 years. I'll truly miss those walks and talks with her.

I hope you have someone, too, who points you Upward and Homeward.

Linking up with Amanda Jean at crazymomquilts.com for Finish It Up Friday. If you're into sewing or quilting, head on over there for lots of wonderful inspiration!

If you've stopped by from Amanda Jean's, I do hope you'll linger awhile here at Homeward

Unitil next time!

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...