Pages

Monday, August 17, 2015

Just Waiting in the Mailbox

As I pulled out of the driveway Saturday morning, our mail carrier had stopped to let me out so she could pull up to our mailbox. I thought about pulling back in to get the mail before I left, but decided that I could just pick it up as I returned from my errands. 

I began to think about what a blessing that was, knowing that our mail wouldn't be stolen as it just waited in that little box by the driveway. I read a post the day before by a dear grandma who had sent gifts to her grandchildren who live in a country where parcels are opened and confiscated. Gifts she had so carefully chosen and packed would not arrive. As she put it, "joy stolen."

I thought back several years ago to when we lived in Venezuela during a two-year temporary assignment with my husband's job. Our things were often 'confiscated' as well. Even little socks with ruffles that a friend had sent to our little girls, some other little girl would wear. So, okay, she maybe needed them more, but they were gifts from friends, and stealing is stealing. There's more to stealing than the things stolen. Whenever we'd fly in and out of the country, our bags were rummaged through at customs. If they liked it, they would take it. On one trip back into the country from a brief vacation, a lady in front of us struck up a conversation and told us to follow her through the line and not to say anything. We didn't understand what she was saying to the customs agents, but we were motioned on through without our bags being pilfered. Turned out she was a government official of some sort who had a soft heart for our little family. God's care is sometimes very evident, and we got to keep what we had on that trip back into Venezuela.

So as I drove on down our street Saturday morning, I counted another blessing--living in America where we can leave our mail in a little box at the end of the driveway and have it wait for us there throughout the day. 

Would love to hear about a blessing you're counting today, dear one, as we look upward to the One who sends all good gifts. 

HomewardThoughts@gmail.com
.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...