Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Not the Dark Side


http://www.wikigallery.org/wiki/painting_177157/John-William-Waterhouse/The-Missal--1902For my meditations this month, I've been reading all of 1 John at each sitting of my devotional time. As I read and re-read, I see that the book is rich in certainties of the faith. The Apostle John repeatedly uses the term know--we know, you know, this is how you know. He wants us to grasp the truth of Jesus' incarnation. He builds on that theological theme.

As I read, I  want to understand how to live my life in light of God's Word, how to think, how to change, how to worship Him in spirit and in truth. As I read verse 5 of chapter 1, my thoughts go to worship. "God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all." Whatever I offer Him in worship must be nothing on the dark side. There is no darkness in Him, and He does not and cannot receive darkness as worship. 

So I ask myself, what is darkness? It must be anything that God is not, because God is light. God is not sinful, He does no sin. He is holy. He wants us to be holy. He wants us to do no sin. This is why I'm confused as to how some congregations bring rock music into their church and offer it to God as worship. 

Rock music in the church is very troubling to my spirit. Some people tell me that it's just not my taste, but I believe that it's more than that. The 1812 Overture is not my taste, but it doesn't war against my spirit. So I've asked myself over and over, why does rock music disturb the spirit within me?

I did a little research to find out the origins of the genre. Briefly, here is what I found:
(from the http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rock%20and%20roll)
rock and roll: A term used to describe the new emergence of rhythm and blues fusion type music in the 1950's. Often the music is referred to simply as rock in modern times. "Rock and rolling" originally was a term frequently used in predominantly black neighborhoods to mean "having sexual intercourse". The term was however first derived as a musical term by disk jockey Alan Freed. Alan Freed first played a collection of rhythm and blues albums in his show under the name "The Moondog Show". However, upon relocating to New York he changed the name to "The Rock and Roll Show". He had full knowledge of the term and it's racy implications, but probably found great satisfaction in the spread of the term among mainstream America with little knowledge of the term's true meaning. 
I think, probably, that America's mainstream churches have little knowledge of the term's true meaning, either. Rock music doesn't celebrate sex between husband and wife. It celebrates immorality. How can I offer music to God in worship that celebrates sin? He will not accept it. He desires that we abstain from sexual immorality. 
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;  ~ 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
God is light, and in Him there is no darkness, and so I cannot bring Him darkness as worship. I cannot worship Him with music that celebrates immorality.

And, so, I keep looking upward and homeward, to the day when I will not see through a glass dimly, but face to face I will see Him, the author and finisher of my faith.

And, you, dear one, keep looking upward as well. I do hope you know Him and anticipate His coming. 

Painting ~ The Missal, 1902 , John William Waterhouse 1849-1917

.
.
.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...